Tagged: ,

7 replies, 6 voices Last updated by Tarl 5 years, 11 months ago
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Profile photo of Vic
      Vic
      Keymaster
      @Vic

What are some Original English Light Novels that you know of?

Ryuu
      Participant
      @marc-decostos

Vecto vengeance. Sadly, Vecto Vengeance is the only “OEL” light novel that I know of as mainstream publishers won’t touch light novels period with a 10ft pole and manga publishers that localize light novels, such as Yen Press, only accept submissions for manga from westerners, not light novels. So what your doing here at VIc’s labs is very much a “new thing”… Until this place the OEL light novel as a possibility for us otaku writers didn’t exsist beyond just stickng our work up for free on anime forums, or self- publishing, which for people like me who are not savy with marketing and social media was also an impossibility.

So you are truly at the forefront of a new movement, Vic, and I hope for the sake of all of us who want to make anime- style stories but have 0 art skill that it takes off.

There is, however, a few self-published titles I know that certainly have an “anime” feel to them, but their voice and writing style is not what I would define as a true “light novel.” Heck, even vecto strays a lot from the formula by not being illustrated as far as I know, but the pacing and voice is a lot more like a light novel then other anime-EEC self- published titles.

If you want names, the ARMS-X series and I am Titanium both spring to mind as having an anime and/or superhero comic feel to them, and I can list more when I think of them. However, I would not quite say these stories have a truly “light novel” voice. The OEL light novel just did not exsist as a concept until your work here and vecto largely because of a lack of publishing outlet other than self- publishing.

Profile photo of Vic
      Vic
      Keymaster
      @Vic

Thanks for the comment. I’m familiar with ARM’s X and will look into I am Titanium. I’ll try to collect these stories on this site and hopefully find another good OEL to publish.

Profile photo of Robert E. Parkin
      Robert E. Parkin
      Participant
      @CorsonExsul

I’ve tried to find some on Amazon, but most are Manga if at all and Light Novels look to be non existent. I didn’t even know about this site when I self published my Light Novel this past August on Amazon. I feel it’s wrong for me to site my own work, but there really isn’t Original Light Novels that I know of that have been self published. Anyway, my series is entitled: “The Immortality Protocol”

I also think I saw another title on Amazon that looked like an original LN that had been self published. I think the title was called “I am not a Hero” but I may be wrong on that.

Hope I didn’t break any rules. Love the site so far. ^^

Profile photo of Vic
        Vic
        Keymaster
        @Vic

Thank you for mentioning these books. There are not that many original English light novels out there, so we encourage members to let others know about their stories.

Profile photo of Ayumi Megumi
      Ayumi Megumi
      Participant
      @Jyukai AMV Jyukai Ituna

I know about some anime-styled novels like Chronexia and the 8 seals most likely because it got it’s anime adaptation but it’s not quite a light novel. Most of the OELNs I know of are in wattpad though and most are fan made but they’re not really into my taste story wise.

Profile photo of 2-Bru Krew       (www.2brukrew.com)
      2-Bru Krew (www.2brukrew.com)
      Participant
      @2-BruKrew

We are the 2-Bru Krew, American Authors of a new series of OELN’s called: “The Keepers of the Gate” series, with the first being: “The Keepers of the Gate. KOG 1: Enter The Keepers”. It is published and available on Amazon both in paperback and kindle form. It is 212 pages long with 42 original “Anime / Manga” style illustrations throughout the book. We are planning on giving away free copies of the book in either e-reader format or PDF, as soon as possible, so that we can help make the Original English Light Novel known to the public. We are intrigued by Vic’s Lab, and really have to give a lot of respect and recognition to this great website, because Vic’s Lab has made a brave and bold move to establish this platform to OELN writers and readers, and to help promote this whole new genre to the public. I honestly believe that together, Vic’s Lab and our OELN community of writers and readers can make this genre explode into the mainstream.

The thing is, with the exception of y’all here, there’s really 2 basic camps of readers out there. 1.) Never heard of Light Novels but loves to read short stories about action/adventure sci-fi/horror/ supernatural. 2) “So-Called Experts” who think they know everything about Japanese Light Novels, and that anyone or anything less than original Japanese Light Novels from Japan is just a cheap imitation and beneath their dignity. But we can break that mold. Now, we haven’t read any of y’alls work, but sight unseen, I’m willing to bet that y’all can go to the mat with the original Japanese Light Novels matchin’ pound for pound and round for round, and come out at least even, if not on top. Want to know how I know? Because y’all are SUPER FANS of Light Novels, Anime and Mangas, just like ourselves. We know the art and writing style, because we’ve been reading, watching, studying and living it all our lives. And I know y’all put your hearts and souls into your work. Now don’t get me wrong. I’m not disrespecting the original art form, or taking anything away from the Japanese, but the fact is, when a foreign culture lives and breathes a past-time from another culture, they typically can turn it into their own and improve on it exponentially. Case in point. Look at what the Japanese did to American Baseball. They play the game harder and better than we do! Because they adopted it as their own, and lived and breathed it, until they perfected it. Look at what the British did to American Rock n’ Roll in the early 60’s. They took Little Richard, Elvis, and Chuck Berry, and turned it into the Beatles, the Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin. This is no different. I know all of our stuff, (OUR meaning both literally our own books and all of yours collectively that you amazing authors have listed here) is just as good as the Japanese Light Novels we’ve all been reading for years.

What we need to do is encourage each other and promote one another, and get this genre introduced to a whole slew of readers who have no idea what great literature they’re missing. And the spark that is gonna ignite that fire is this website. Vicslab.com. Let’s promote it along with our own stuff in everything we do. When the 2-Bru Krew tweets, we always mention our own website, http://www.2brukrew.com at the end of a tweet. We get hits all the time. Let’s all do the same to promote this site and cross-promote all of our stuff across social media. I don’t know about y’all but I feel privileged and excited to be out there promoting our Light Novel, “The Keepers of the Gate. KOG 1: Enter The Keepers”. Nobody ever said the promotion game was gonna be easy, (and it ain’t!), but we might as well enjoy it. Lemme know what y’all think. And check out our twitter page too. @2brukrew. Let’s follow each other on twitter, and like each other and friend each other on Facebook. Send us a tweet, or an email, or a friend request. Together, as a community, we can make OELN shine!

Tarl
      Participant
      @Voicespider

The American Kitsune series by Brandon Varnell (http://www.varnell-brandon.com/) is pretty close to Light Novels without actively calling themselves light novels. But still worth checking out.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.