VicsLab.com Forums Miscellaneous How Do You Get Your Light Novel Published?

24 replies, 6 voices Last updated by Profile photo of VicVic 6 years, 5 months ago
Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author
      Profile photo of Javon Sankoh
      Javon Sankoh
      @javon-sankoh

For the future, I would like to know the process of getting your light novel published. Right now, I have several rough drafts but they are just paper with no pictures. Please tell me how the process works or how you decide to publish light novels? Does Vic’s Lab plan to be a big company that could be compared to Funimation or Sentai Filmworks? Also, do you plan to have multiple original english light novels and be bigger than just a site?

Profile photo of Vic
      Vic
      Keymaster
      @Vic

Javon, thanks for the interest. Vic’s Lab, LLC, is a small company. We do plan to publish more light novels and other books for a variety of new authors, but because of costs involved, it’s going to be a gradual process. We don’t have the marketing power as the bigger companies to sell a lot of books, so please keep that in mind if you want to submit. Hopefully I’ll have a submission section up this month.

Javon Sankoh
      @

Do you think you can be as big as those other companies over time? I’m asking all of these questions because I feel you could start something big here. I mean you are the first company to publish english light novels. I just feel if you’re popular enough, it could lead to much more things. Also, I plan for my light novel to last a long time so I’m thinking if Vic’s Lab gets big enough, my light novel could be produced into a long lasting anime like one piece. I know you have no interest in producing anime right now but maybe you will overtime. I’m sorry if I’m acting selfish.

Javon Sankoh
      @javon-sankoh

I also have a few more questions like do you still have control of your light novel, how much of its earnings are yours, and how will you advertise it if you don’t mind answering.

Shafin Barshan
      Participant
      @Shafin Barshan

I have the same question. I have a volume of light novel nearly prepared, but can I actually publish it here so it sells (both online softcopy and hardcopy). Speaking of which, do you sell hardcopies or anything?

And my goal is to turn the light novel into an anime series. If i publish here, will it get famous enough to be turned into an anime?

Profile photo of Ayumi Megumi
      Ayumi Megumi
      Participant
      @Jyukai AMV Jyukai Ituna

(I’m still new here so pardon me)

Don’t rush guys. Vic’s Lab is still small in the LN business to get that much credit instantly much less an anime unlike Dangeki in Japan. Also, light novels tend to get less popularity than manga in the book market so it’s gonna be a hard way. Not in a negative way but honestly, there are more people that don’t read novels, so the initial start is hard unless we have partner companies in advertising.

But, positively thingking, publishing your work here is a good idea to start earning credit in the LN industry since Vic’s is one/maybe the first that publishes LNs outside Japan. We’re all still starting here so it is difficult to think to catch up to other markets. But if we all help each other here (illustrators, editors, writers) we could definitely make it big unlike self-publishing. Here you can actually ask help from those who understand what you’re making.

On the publishing matter, I’m still a student so I’ll wait till I get a job, but donating to Vic’s is actually a good idea so that more of our works can be published faster.

All of this is just my opinion. I didn’t mean to offend anyone Q~Q

Javon Sankoh
      @javon-sankoh

Jyukai AMV, I know I need to be patient, but it’s hard to do that when I’m putting all of my dreams on the line here. I know it’s going to take time for Vic’s Lab to get more popular and I know manga is more popular than light novels. Still, I have a big career riding on Vic’s Lab and if they can’t get supply, that makes so much harder. I’m being forced into either self-publishing it (which will take an immense amount of work) or moving to Japan to find a company that will support me. I know I’m rushing, however I honestly don’t know what else to do.

Javon Sankoh
      @javon-sankoh

Never mind, my bad, I’m over exaggerating things.

Profile photo of Ayumi Megumi
        Ayumi Megumi
        Participant
        @Jyukai AMV Jyukai Ituna

Javon Sankoh, I know the feeling. Even I’m having thoughts about going to Japan and prove my works worth, I think we all do that’s why we’re here, but the light novel industry in other places especially Japan are harsh. Self-publishing is a good way to get it out faster but the popularity rate is gonna be very low(well there’s still chance for it to get discovered but its very slim). Official publishers are a good idea since they will take care of spreading your work while you can focus on your book. Right now, Vic is the only one I know that publishes Light Novels so he’s one lifeline on this. Who knows? If we do a good job, our works here might get famous and Vic’s might just get big enough like Dangeki.

Anyway, rushing is never good but staying still isn’t a good alternative. Unlike some people, I’m actually here to publish a LN. Getting an anime is still another goal but the first step is LN (or manga for others) for me. Illustrating is just a side-line and getting editing experience with my friend.

If you need any help with illustrations to get an anime feel in this process, I’ll gladly try (still an amateur). We really need someone better but I’ll improve!

This sounds stupid but you can have more fun in creating light novels or manga compared to producing an anime (from what I concluded, anime production is indeed very tough and harsh but the finished products are very satisfying)

Javon Sankoh
      @javon-sankoh

Thank you, Ayumi Megumi, I needed that. You’re completely right. The first step is to publish a light novel and that is what I’m here to do. And, I do need to someone to draw illustrations for my light novel. If you don’t mind, could you help with it? I don’t care that you are an amateur. Any help is fine in my mind. I understand if you say no, I mean you are also working on a light novel after all.

David
      @

Hi, I just had a question concerning the light novel industry as a whole. What would you say are the most well known light novel companies in Japan. Of course I know that most companies publish both, but I am just curious as to what the big names are in the industry.

Javon Sankoh
      @javon-sankoh

I only know a few like Dengeki Bunko and Yen Press. There are others, but I can’t remember them off the top of my head.

Profile photo of Vic
      Vic
      Keymaster
      @Vic

I should check the forums more often …

@javon-sankoh

Authors we publish keep the copyrights to their stories but give us an exclusive license to publish. We pay 40% net profit royalties. We have a small marketing budget so we focus on online ads and word-of-mouth. If you want to go on your own and keep all the profits, you can always self-publish and we can help with the process.

@shafin-barshan

You can post your story here, but we only sell books we hand-pick to publish. We only select a few books a year. We sell ebooks and also sell paperback books on a case-by-case bases. We don’t sell hardcover books due to cost. We are a small company, so our challenge is being noticed. If this site become popular, then maybe your book can as well. Having books turned into anime shows would be awesome but I’m not aware of this happening for original English light novels in America yet.

@jyukai-amv-jyukai-ituna

Thank your for responding to member’s questions. You are right.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of VicVic.

Alenn
      @

Guys, can I ask if author’s from other countries could also pass their manuscript? I also creating a Light Novel but in my country there’s no publishing company that accepts one, so if I could pass my manuscript here then that would be great

Profile photo of Vic
      Vic
      Keymaster
      @Vic

You can post your story on the site for members to read, and we also consider publishing original English light novels from other countries.

Profile photo of Vic
      Vic
      Keymaster
      @Vic

You can post your story on the site for members to read, and we also consider publishing original English light novels from other countries.

Profile photo of Vic
      Vic
      Keymaster
      @Vic

Profile photo of Vic
      Vic
      Keymaster
      @Vic

From the homepage, there is now a tab under “About” titled “Publishing” that covers three ways you can be published.

Profile photo of Vic
      Vic
      Keymaster
      @Vic

From the homepage, there is now a tab under “About” titled “Publishing” that covers three ways you can be published.

Profile photo of Vic
      Vic
      Keymaster
      @Vic

Javon Sankoh
      @javon-sankoh

Great, this will definitely be useful. Thanks, Vic! I’ll let you know if I have any questions concerning it.

O-Rilly
      @

I was browsing around in search of a western LN publishing group, and happened to stumble upon this place. I would like to know if the sites current status in activity, I have a Novel in the works and would love to add this site to the publisher list once the final draft is complete.

Profile photo of Vic
      Vic
      Keymaster
      @Vic

Thanks for your interest. Please see VicsLab.com/publishing for information on publishing.

Jalen Jones
      Participant
      @Jalen Jones

If we post our light novel here as a story, do you guys the admin. read our stories as well? Also if you read it and like it are those the stories you guys consider for traditional publishing?

Profile photo of Vic
      Vic
      Keymaster
      @Vic

Thanks for the question. The stories we consider for publishing are completed books members add to the Submissions group.

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.