VicsLab.com Forums Group Forum Others – Random Stuff

10 replies, 4 voices Last updated by Tarl 5 years, 3 months ago
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Profile photo of Ayumi Megumi
      Ayumi Megumi
      Participant
      @Jyukai AMV Jyukai Ituna

Well, since we’re all involved in a light novel/publishing/story community here, it would be nice to share some stuff that you didn’t think of posting on your wall here, like scrapped story plots, discarded characters, story ideas that don’t fit in your work, some fandom, short stories, or something you just want to share into this community. There are other places to do this but I made this so that in case you guys ever get writers block, depressed, need some new gimmicks for your story, or want to get some references, just look in here.

Just unwind and have nice a change of pace sometimes.

Ayumi Megumi
      Participant
      @Jyukai AMV Jyukai Ituna

Idea: You know those relaxing moments when you go for a drive? Normally, when you sleep in a car it is very uncomfortable but when the car is moving, you feel so relaxed and start dreaming sometimes (until your butt hurts from sitting). It only happens when your the passenger of course so you mustn’t do this while driving and asking another person would be embarrassing. Then I remembered an idea I had before. Robotic servants. You could ask them to drive for you while you relax in the car and won’t feel bad since they serve you. Then again any servant would do in this case.

Ayumi Megumi
      Participant
      @Jyukai AMV Jyukai Ituna

Author sharing [Kazuma Kamachi]

I know that there are a lot of authors out there that make if not great but historical works but this guy is different. Let’s start off that he just started he had his debut title (To aru majutsu no Index) 11 years ago, which makes him a veteran in this line of work, but not even the masters are like him. Currently, he is working on 4 different ongoing titles, all on the same time! Not only that, he’s managing the story for the manga adaptations of his works and has an anime to work with now, Heavy Object! Other of his great feats are here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazuma_Kamachi#Personal_life. Well, indeed he is fast that even a fandom of him concluded that he is either a computer AI or a group of writers under the same name but that didn’t change the fact that his works are in top quality. All of is works are from a wide range of settings like school, country-side, world-wide-war, mythological world but all of his works have things in common, the merging of technology and supernatural, a very complicated theme, usual harem+romcom+ecchi, and a story where a conspiracy is overcome by normality, no chosen ones, no training to be the best, just pure desire to overcome obstacles with your own hands. Not all writers can achieve this feat. Most of them will be more likely be stressed and complaining when a deadline comes or they get their works adapted, but Kamachi doesn’t. A rare talent. If I were to describe him, he would be a monster writer.

Profile photo of Javon Sankoh
      Javon Sankoh
      @javon-sankoh

Wow, I didn’t know that about Kazuma Kamachi. He really is amazing. That must take a lot of devotion and effort. I don’t think I could do what he’s doing. But, I’ll still give it my all on my one and only light novel. Also, about the robotic servants, I’ll pass. I’m not a fan of robots.

Ayumi Megumi
      Participant
      @Jyukai AMV Jyukai Ituna

He he. Its just an inspiration for other guys. Working on one novel is perfectly fine but others tend to give up on other of their ideas because of problems so this is just here to note that there is someone working very hard/addicted into making his stories come to life. Fight on guys. I’ll try posting some theories next time.

Ayumi Megumi
      Participant
      @Jyukai AMV Jyukai Ituna

I’ll be updating any news or information that I could find or come across here that could probably motivate or at least show that what we’re doing here in Vic’s has a chance. Well, if all goes well.

I noticed that this looks like a boring speech and could be considered as “killjoy” for some people so, no need take this in too deep and just have fun.

I’m pretty sure that some of you come here with hopes or at least dream of having an anime or movie out of your works. Well, not like it’s impossible. Recently, (I guess some of you probably seen this or don’t care) there is a recent non-Japanese anime project from a book that was published by the Youtuber, Misty Chronexia, and is gonna be produced by a small animation studio, Studio Izune. (for details, here’s the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3vB2OMKiuk )

Well, partly of what I want to talk about is that there is a chance to get an anime adaptation. Well, Misty is a well known youtuber in his genre and Studio Izune wanted to collaborate with him in order to, aside from making an anime, they want to promote their group.

The main point that I want to discuss is that there is also another group, just like Vic’s, working their way up, to make it big in the entertainment industry. In a way, they are just like us here. It starts like one small dream and begins to look just like a fan-made wannabe work but they are serious about it, we too, are serious on our work. This is just the starting point, we can’t be like Japan, China or Korea when it comes to quality or credit, since they have been on this for years and we just started off as fans.

Yes, some of you could care less about anime or cartoons (P.S. compared to “anime”, getting book works done by any animation studio has a very low chance of happening than getting a live-action movie.) but even in the world of literature is very competitive. If you look at it, there are very few titles that are known, from the mass media and book lovers, there are countless more novel titles printed but only a few know about. Most likely they were self-published or the publisher had a very small budget or they were overshadowed by other titles.

But here, in the small community that we call Vic. We are still budding. We can still grow into a bigger and unstoppable force. If we all join hands and help each other to correct their mistakes, encourage their dreams. Then we shall rise from the desolate land called dreams and make them into reality. We are the frontier in our genres. There might be some or maybe, even a lot of light-novels, superhero stories or fantasy novels, but they are alone, and they stood in the battle field where many have been. But we are a group, we stand together, and along with the fact that we promote our selves in the realm of the internet as a group, we can do this.

Everyone has potential, but it is how you use it that counts.

Profile photo of Vic
        Vic
        Keymaster
        @Vic

Thank you for being a part of the community and encouraging others to keep their stories going! When your stories are completed, please submit for consideration to publish. I only have the budget to publish a few books a year, however.

Ayumi Megumi
      Participant
      @Jyukai AMV Jyukai Ituna

Sure. But according to the rules, I still got 1 more year before meeting the requirements, so it’s kinda bad for me. Yes, I’m still under the age requirement but I’m taking it slow and try to make a great debut with this long preparation. I won’t simply wait, I won’t compromise to this disadvantage just because I’m young. I’ll just work on myself until I can get my chance, work on what I like everyday. In the end, this is just a hobby which would really be a dream come true if it becomes professional.

(I hate making long text.)

My works can wait. There are other promising works here that deserve to be published first. With that, you could start gaining a little income at first and popularity/fame/credit/status/or whatever you call that thing, until we could do this on a big scale.

Well, this could just be words of a dreamy kid but I don’t want to waste this youthful spirit… thing. Still need experience but I’ll work to improve rather than wait for things to come my way.

Ayumi Megumi
      Participant
      @Jyukai AMV Jyukai Ituna

To our dear writers in Vicslab.

I may be in active and it took me months before I finally got some motivation to edit this topic because I kinda felt lazy most of the time to edit and I my inspiration and idea flew away the day after I wrote this post. But now it has returned, my inspiration and now with a new me that almost passed my writing subject, in which I seriously want to make a better comeback.

It’s late at night, the coffee just kicked in and now I will be writing this thought like some unprofessional, honest impromptu blogger that didn’t pay that much thought on the topic and just let the ADHD of ideas pop in.

Moving on, the topic that was here was all about the types of authors, not all, but maybe the interesting ones.

I’ll start off with that, there are various kinds of authors in the world, just as many as there are human beings. The authors don’t limit themselves to Tolkien, Rowling, Shakespear, Sorachi Hideaki, or whoever author you know. If we start generalizing on the idea of authors, the first thing that comes in mind are those novel writers, journalists, comic writers, those people that make intellectual researches, or just anyone that writes and has there books shared to others. Then we will have the amateurs, wannabees, hobbyists, professionals, and so on. If you think about it, the word author is pretty broad. But the main thing that connects them as authors are that they get there works printed into some medium, whether be it a book, magazine, or some thing you can read with a computer, and share it to others. Some are paid, some are not, but others will get to read it.

You can search for a dictionary meaning to it and prove me wrong, but this is my thought into it.

The kinds of authors that I will be tackling here would be the novelists, or those people that make stories as text to be read by others. Genre is not an important as of now so bear with me.

Here in Vics, we kinda fall into this category since, well, we write light novels or novels. Just from the name, it’s obvious. We are here to share our works that have either been inspired by Japanese culture/anime, or have some real life/fantasy story that you want to get published as a book. We are obviously here for looking for a publisher.

Some people might already have written their own stories ahead and are just looking for a publisher for their stories to be published. It’s like a door-to-door salesman process. Not all publishers just accept writers easily. You would need to have a story that is worth publishing for them, and sometimes, not all people see the potential within the stories. Some authors ask help from people they know to publish their works but not all people have those kind of connections and some are quite shy. There aren’t many places that encourage novelists to write their stories and give them a chance to write them like Japan. Self-publishing is also a tougher road to take unless you can cover the expenses yourself, or with help. With the internet today, you can share your stories online and there are bound to be people to read it. But either way, it would still be just another story among the many stories within the world. There are many books online and offline. Without help from friends or people that will spread the word of your story, your story will not have the chance to shine. (I think I’ve alread discussed this somewhere else?)

Some writers here might have just started writing after seeing some hope that their genre of writing might get published. There are people that have already calculated the factors of the writing world. Having a fantasy or animeish story might not get accepted by most publishers outside Japan, or China, or Korea. There are only few accepting it as of the moment, but it is now on the rise. There are already translation communities working on light novels, some are even starting their own originals. Here in Vics, we might just be the one of the first communities to start a light novel revolution! (I lost the term there. This is one big dream too. But always aim for the furthest, whether be it a negative or a positive goal, aim for the furthest you can think of.)

Well, for the possible dreams and things we might want to achieve as fellow authors are just a few in general. I’ll be brief with this because this might’ve already crossed your minds at some point. We all want to write the fantasy/fantasies in our heads and bring them to life. We want to share those fantasies. At some point, we might want to become famous or have well-known works, and maybe make lot’s of money. At some point, we might want our works to have a movie or be animated. But there are some that have taken a joy into writing stories and just want to write.

Let us all write for whatever reason we may have and face our futures with our works together. And don’t forget to have fun… while you can. Sometimes, fans can be very demanding and you will want to please them, if you get one.

That is all.

TL:DR Read it. You can skim through unimportant parts. Also, this isn’t really applicable to all writers/publishers here and out there.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of Ayumi MegumiAyumi Megumi.
      Ayumi Megumi
      Participant
      @Jyukai AMV Jyukai Ituna

Perspectives in writing: first-person or third-person

If anyone can come up a way to write in 2nd or 4th, hands up for you.

This is all in narration… and a bit of problem I had hit sometimes when writing.

In the first person view, the narrator takes active part in the story as he/she is a character in the story. Giving personal comments in the story and some biased thoughts can give a bit of personality in the story.

In the third person view, the narrator is nothing more than a story-teller. It could be someone telling his/her distant past or an old tale, or it could be none of those and just tells the story from a faraway place not in the active story. It is more objective than a first person view.

This is just how I find these two while writing, and sometimes I find myself switching from both of them. But when a long conversation comes up, I end up forgetting putting up descriptions and have dialogues for 5 to six lines. I have to force some details in like the characters facial expressions and tones, which I sometimes find as unnecessary since I think you could get that feel of their emotions just by reading the conversation.

I believe that it only works in simple characters or once the character already has enough build up in the story that the reader will already understand the character. Authors will already have that understanding since they did create the character but that might be different to some readers and cause a misunderstanding. Thus fandom wars were born.

Tarl
        Participant
        @Voicespider

2nd person is interesting to write. I have a published horror/erotica story done completely in 2nd person plu-perfect, which was the only way I could get it to work smoothly. As it was also for the furry fandom, I knew my general audience would be male, so that helped as well, as doing 2nd person tends to be a bit more difficult to do if your audience is a 50/50 mix. You also have to be very aware of how a character will act and have to go along with what most people would take as common sense, otherwise you risk pulling them out of the story again and again as your protagonist pulls the reader out of the story by doing things the reader wouldn’t do. Still, it is a good POV to experiment with to broaden your writing toolbox and to stretch your skill abilities.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.