27 replies, 6 voices Last updated by Profile photo of JamesNustyJamesNusty 2 years, 2 months ago
Viewing 27 reply threads
  • Author
      Profile photo of Ayumi Megumi
      Ayumi Megumi
      Participant
      @Jyukai AMV Jyukai Ituna

As pointed out by @javon-sankoh, we will be discussing about the points and ranking system here in Vics. Feel free to join in and give your ideas about this.

Ayumi Megumi
      Participant
      @Jyukai AMV Jyukai Ituna

Here’s my proposal. Just a very basic layout of possible titles. I want to make this into something more creative and fun and unique but this is it for now.

Points-Title
      0 – Newbie
      50 – Trainee
      100 – Apprentice
      150 – Adept
      200 – Regular
      250 – Adventurer
      300 – Veteran
      350 – Expert
      400 – Professional
      500 – Elite
      600 – Noble
      750 – Master
      1000 – Enlightened
      1250 – Heavenly
      1500 – God
      2000 – Universe

The point acquisition is a bit easy for now and the sudden jump in required points is for game balance purposes (wut?). The cap can still be increased and we can still change the required points and stuff.

Profile photo of Javon Sankoh
      Javon Sankoh
      @javon-sankoh

I am fine with the required points it takes to upgrade your title, but I don’t like some of the titles. I also want to make this into something fun and unique. Since Vic’s Lab will be around for a long time, the amount of titles should be increased and expanded in the future.

Javon Sankoh
      @javon-sankoh

If we went by this system, that would mean Vic is already heavenly. Speaking of Vic, we should talk to him about if there will be rewards for reaching a certain rank. Actually, now that I think about the titles, I’m fine with the names. I just think they should be more expanded.

Ayumi Megumi
      Participant
      @Jyukai AMV Jyukai Ituna

Same. Looking for some ideas from you guys. I’m just having some fun with the titles above 1000.
      Just pitching in some ideas but it’s not that I want this to be implemented as is.

New titles

1000 – Enlightened King

Title rewards… usually they would be some premium access or merchandise. We could use points to preview published works (Vics published only for fair use) in the site. like if you have 500 points you can only preview 1 book and then you would need another 500 to unlock a new book. something like that.

Oh. and you can only edit your title when you reach a certain number of points. like if you reach 1050 points, you can edit it so you can be a “KING OF CATS” or “SUPREME PIZZA” or “MAGI”. only works once. I need to think some rules for this though so that you can’t skip directly to “GOD OF DEATH” or something.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of Ayumi MegumiAyumi Megumi.
      Javon Sankoh
      @javon-sankoh

Interesting, I like that idea. What if you can only change the name to anything that has king in it if king ends up being the title after 1000 points. Or you can ban certain words from being in your title until the amount of points increase to a specific amount. You could Beginner as one of the first ranks. Legend can be one of the higher ranks. Would “The One and Only” be allowed as an edited rank? That sounds cool to me ?
      These are just options:
      The Chosen One
      World Savior
      Avenger
      Superhero
      Overlord
      Fighter
      Demon
      One Punch
      Champion
      Super Saiyan

Most of those would probably be edited ranks.

Profile photo of Vic
      Vic
      Keymaster
      @Vic

Thanks for the suggestions! I decided to go with the Japanese martial arts ranking system for points, but enjoy your titles and think they would work great as badges. These are like video game achievements, where you can be given a badge for doing a certain task like viewing member content, posting comments, adding friends, sending invites, etc. I’m still deciding what titles to go with what badge, and I’ll need to find icon art to go with it.

As for rewards, maybe I can give out discounts or free ebooks, or have a member’s story or profile featured on the front page.

Ayumi Megumi
      Participant
      @Jyukai AMV Jyukai Ituna

Good idea! Seeing that you already implemented it XD. I’m quite familiar with the badge system achievement you’re talking about. You could make an achievements page where members can see the badges they have or have yet to unlock. And for aesthetic purposes, the badges should be viewable on the person’s main page.

Javon Sankoh
      @javon-sankoh

Oh, I see! The Playstation 4 and Xbox 360 have similar badge systems. When you complete an achievement on a game, a badge comes with the achievement. Can we see how much points we need to get to the next rank? I wonder what the badges will look like.

Profile photo of Strovist
      Strovist
      @Thaddeus

I support the idea of customising titles when we reach a specific rank! It sounds cool!

In regards to the points, I have a suggestion, but it’s probably random. How about a notification filter system based on points history?

Like for a guy who gets his points based on reviewing and commenting on other ppl’s stories, he/she might be more interested to see notifications that informs him/her about story publications and beta reading requests.

Or a member who gets his points based on doing illustrations for ppl’s stories, he/she might also be more interested in notifications that inform him/her of illustration requests from other writers.

Just fruit for thought. Let me know what you guys think:)

Ayumi Megumi
      Participant
      @Jyukai AMV Jyukai Ituna

At first I thought it was about a rewarding system, but from what I can understand, it’s like a notification priority based on what the person mostly does? Doing this based on the pointing system might be very complicated to make. If I’m not mistaken (***UNNECESSARY INFORMATION***) it’s like using an algorithm like in social medias that tracks your actions and uses it to find likes and dislikes automatically. In theory, each type of action would be tagged and then tallied, the tag that is most frequent would be used as a basis for notifications. With this users just have to do what they do and the program sorts things for them. (Done. Sorry force of a recent habit)

Not a bad idea, but we could just have a separate setting where we could adjust the notifications for those actions. Or I think a similar idea would be in the job system rather than point-rank system.

Eg.:
      Job – Perks/Abilities
      Keymaster – (Only Vic knows, can’t say for myself)
      Administrator – (Probably this is the key master) Site Management, Moderator Head, Member Management Supervisor
      Moderator – Forum management, New user notification, Forum Notification, Member Management
      Illustrator – Illustration Request Notification, Bonus Points for Illustration Activities
      Writer – Bonus Points for Writing Activities
      Editor – Reply Notification Priority, New Story Upload Notification

I’ll just say that users are already notified by whatever they upload as a priority so I guess that won’t be a new feature. Just like if two users do joint works such as editors, illustrators and writers in one project will of course be notified already so these won’t be part of this list.

Regarding the illustrations, we can add an option for each doc to request for illustrators, and then users with the illustrator job will be notified.

Hmm… I’m thinking about a “Quest Board” like feature for some other requests but that would be for another time.

Javon Sankoh
      @javon-sankoh

Strovist, that’s an interesting idea. It would be easier on people with specific jobs to do. The only downside I see is how difficult that would be to implement into this website. It all depends on whethee the Big V can handle it. Like Ayumi Megumi said, it would probably be easier to adjust the notifications manually instead of it being automatic. It would cool if illustrators could be contacted in some way, especially for people who only write

Ayumi Megumi
      Participant
      @Jyukai AMV Jyukai Ituna

Why do I have to say things in a complicated manner?

Javon Sankoh
      @javon-sankoh

Did I misunderstand something?

Ayumi Megumi
      Participant
      @Jyukai AMV Jyukai Ituna

Not really. Everything that I wanted to say was just summed upped by you. Nice.

Javon Sankoh
      @javon-sankoh

Oh, thanks ?

Javon Sankoh
      @javon-sankoh

Oh, thanks ?

Javon Sankoh
      @javon-sankoh

But, it’s good that you’re clear with your explanations

Ayumi Megumi
      Participant
      @Jyukai AMV Jyukai Ituna

No. I can’t even understand what I just wrote when I reread it. Sorry for putting up with it.

Enough of that. Seeing that the ranks have already been implemented, should we still push on with the titles? Or should we make it into a badge feature?

Javon Sankoh
      @javon-sankoh

You don’t need to apologize for a anything. I like your personality. I think we should make a push on the”making your own title” rank. That would be a nice, creative add once we reach a certain rank. The badge feature should probably be left to Vic since his rank are already in action. The badges should match the ranks. Does that make sense?

Profile photo of Vic
      Vic
      Keymaster
      @Vic

I haven’t had time to implement badges, but I’ll get to it when I have a chance. I did remove future points received when others view your pages. I’d rather give points for you viewing other peoples profiles than receiving points when someone else views yours.

Profile photo of Vic
      Vic
      Keymaster
      @Vic

I reinstated points that you gain when someone views your stories but limited it to 10 points/day. I want to encourage authors to get readers, but the concern was that published authors may have too much of and advantage and may stack up hundreds of points. I hope this limit is reasonable.

I also increased points to 10 for those who upload a story, create a group with 10 members, and review a book on the Books page. Below are how points are distributed so far. Let me know if you think it should be tweaked.

10 points for joining site
      1 point per login/day
      1 point for viewing posts, pages, forums, topics, replies, ranks, products, or stories (limit 10 points/day if someone views your post or story)
      10 points for posting story
      1 point per comment (limit 1 per post)
      1 point for new forum, topic, or adding topic to favorites
      1 point for new profile activity, avatar, or profile cover
      1 point for new friend
      10 points for creating group if it has at least 10 members
      1 point for joining groups
      10 points per product review

(Update 7/26/17: I may give rewards for points in the future but need to consider the logistics for it. Unfortunately, the existing coding won’t allow rewards based on a points balance alone. It will require a transfer of points and can be connected to the bookstore. If I implement it, it will allow users to buy, transfer, and/or use points toward downloadable products. Con: It would completely change the leaderboard since users can buy points to increase their rank. Pro: Those who are active site user can receive free products. What are your thoughts?)

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of VicVic. Reason: Added info about rewards
      Profile photo of Vic
      Vic
      Keymaster
      @Vic

I haven’t forgotten about badges. The site has to ability to award badges based on site activity, but I need to settle on the reasons for badges and create a name and image for each.

Badges can be awarded for the following reasons and can be at different levels (beside them are possible badge names):

Registration (Scientist)
      10 profile updates (Mechanic)
      5 times changing avatar (Ninja)
      Add profile cover background (Ranger)
      10 and 100 points from daily website visits (Warrior, Knight)
      10 and 100 points from viewing content (Adventurer, Astronaut)
      100 and 1,000 points from your content being viewed (Champion, Superhero)
      1 and 10 points for uploading stories (Author, Inventor)
      10 and 100 points for commenting (Detective, Scholar)
      10 and 50 friends (Scout, Monarch)
      Creating new group (Captain)
      Joining group (Soldier)
      5 new forum topics (Cyborg)
      10 topic replies (Robot)

I’m trying to think of names that go along with these activities and also can be depicted with gender-free icons, so let me know if you have any ideas. I may narrow down the badges or add more. There can be levels to the categories, in which either a higher ranking in one of the characters can give you new badge that could either replace the old one or give you a new one. Or I can stick with one icon per category and have different levels depending on usage (ex. Level 3 Soldier for joining 3 groups). The badges require a squared image, so when I settle on the names, I’ll need to find icons for them, like a flask for scientist, magnifying glass for detective, etc.

If anyone is interested in contributing art, that would be great. Otherwise, I’m going to look for stock images.

Profile photo of Vic
      Vic
      Keymaster
      @Vic

We’re testing out badges and showing them on profiles. Here is what we are testing:

Scientist: 10 Daily Website Visits
      Mechanic: 10 Profile Updates
      Ninja: Changing Avatar 5 Times
      Mage: Changing Profile Cover 5 Times
      Adventurer: 100 Times Viewing Content
      Scholar: Uploading 10 Stories
      Superhero: 100 Views of Your Story
      Healer: 10 Comments
      Scout: 10 Friends
      Captain: Creating Group With 10 Friends
      Soldier: Joining 5 Groups
      Robot: 10 Forum Topic Replies
      Warrior: Sending Invitation

Will be manually awarded later:
      Detective: Serving as Moderator
      Champion: Being Published

The badges were chosen to represent different story genres and relate to the activity (i.e. you are adventuring on the site when you are viewing a lot of content).

Should we lower the threshold for some badges or increase? We can have different levels as well (i.e., 1,000 and 10,000 views of a story could increase a level). Perhaps the next level can be represented by a number, ribbon, stamp, star, or something else on the corner of a badge image.

Also, we are tweaking how points are earned. Here are the main ways to earn points so far:

(1 point per activity unless otherwise noted.)

Profile Updates
      Change Avatar
      Profile Cover Upload
      Daily Website Visits
      View Content (max 10 daily)
      Your Story Being Viewed (max 10 daily)
      Upload Story (10 points)
      Comment
      Make Friends
      Group Creation (10 points after 10 members)
      Join Group
      Forum Activity
      Invite New Members
      Review Products (10 points)

Let us know your thoughts so we can balance it out.

We also tweaked ranks slightly. Here are ranks you can acquire:

New member – Mukyū = 0 – 9 points
      10th Kyū – Jikkyū = 10 – 99 points
      9th Kyū – Kyūkyū = 100 – 199 points
      8th Kyū – Hakkyū = 200 – 299 points
      7th Kyū – Nanakyū = 300 – 399 points
      6th Kyū – Rokkyū = 400 – 499 points
      5th Kyū – Gokyū = 500 – 599 points
      4th Kyū – Yonkyū = 600 – 699 points
      3rd Kyū – Sankyū = 700 – 799 points
      2nd Kyū – Nikyū = 800 – 899 points
      1st Dan – Shodan = 1000 – 1999 points
      2nd Dan – Nidan = 2000 – 2999 points
      3rd Dan – Sandan = 3000 – 3999 points
      4th Dan – Yondan = 4000 – 4999 points
      5th Dan – Godan = 5000 – 5999 points
      6th Dan – Rokudan = 6000 – 6999 points
      7th Dan – Shichidan = 7000 – 7999 points
      8th Dan – Hachidan = 8000 – 8999 points
      9th Dan – Kudan = 9000 – 9999 points
      10th Dan – Jūdan = 10000 – 99999 points

Profile photo of The A.C.
      The A.C.
      @theacstories

This all looks good. It is going to be another fun incentive to motivate writers and site activity, especially for those who like to collect points and badges like these.
      Also glad the points system got fixed, since I noticed for a little while it was giving two points every time you clicked anything.

Joshua Piedra
      @TheAnimePulse

I think this looks fair as well. It is a nice incentive for people to stay active

Javon Sankoh
      @javon-sankoh

I think this whole set-up is great. I like it, it is cool to see these badges on my profile page. I do think the badges should have different levels. For example, if someone has uploaded 20 stories, there could be a two on the top right corner of the Scholar badge to show that the person upgraded. You already explained that option, but I do think it’s a good idea. I also think the threshold of each badge should be slightly increased only because the majority of the members, I think, here have been active enough to receive most of the badges. One last thing, I think members should earn points for buying an original light novel from this site if it is possible for you to be informed of the purchase. That purchase not only shows the member’s support for the author, it shows the member’s support for Vic’s Lab success and I think the member should be awarded for that.

Profile photo of Vic
      Vic
      Keymaster
      @Vic

Thank you @theacstories, @TheAnimePulse, and @javon-sankoh for the additional feedback.

Javon, after reading your suggestion, I included points as a reward for buying Vecto: Vengeance and Vecto: Voyage but will need to test it to make sure it works. Those are currently the only books we sell directly on the site. All other book links go to Amazon because we want to increase the authors’ sales ranks so more people can discover them. Unfortunately, there is no way of tracking who bought the books on third-party sites. Perhaps members can send an image that proves their purchase and I can grant points manually.

I’m also considering the option for members to buy points, redeem points for digital products, and exchange points with other members. I’m going through the logistics and pros and cons and may make this feature for future paid members. The leaderboard would no longer be based on who is the most active, because someone could buy points or an active member could redeem points. However, if someone buys points, that would be supporting the site.

Viewing 27 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.