VicsLab.com Forums Miscellaneous Advice on Portfolios

2 replies, 2 voices Last updated by Profile photo of Javon SankohJavon Sankoh 7 years ago
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Profile photo of Javon Sankoh
      Javon Sankoh
      @javon-sankoh

Hey, everybody! I need advice on making a portfolio. In the future, I (and probably many of you here) would like to get hired to write novels for a company (Ex: Vic’s Lab). However, I don’t have anything to put on my portfolio besides a snippet of my first chapter of my light novel, a poem, and maybe other essays. I read that a portfolio should represent the work you want to do. As a person who only wishes to write light novels, how do I go about creating my portfolio? I’d really appreciate if anybody could give me advice on how I should do my portfolio!

Profile photo of Mohamed Shafiek
      Mohamed Shafiek
      @WeebmetalOrange

For a portfolio based on light novels, try and do a lot of creative writing. My cousin once wanted to make a writing portfolio like you did. Although I make more of an art portfolio, my cousin came up with the idea of time trials. Basically what you do is you come up with a premise and without planning anything, you write to reach a goal page. For artists, this is like doing a piece. You time yourself how long it takes to complete your allotted pages and record that with the story you made. Not only is this a great way to show that you have a good grasp on writing literature, but it acts as great practice in increasing your writing stamina. Lastly, when creating a writing portfolio. Try to branch to writing different genres so that the portfolio viewer can see that you are a flexible and skilled writer. For example, me personally, I like to do the slice of life stories that really highlight the ways people can impact one another despite the things we go through by ourselves. By carrying over the same theme of human thinking, I put a twist on it and did a horror story based on the way a serial killer thinks. It’s all about showing diversity in your writing and that’s how you create a very fast, fun, and full writing portfolio that you want. Sorry if I ranted on there. I used to help people a lot with putting together portfolio’s and I like teaching people why they should do things rather than telling them to. Good luck on your portfolio!

Profile photo of Javon Sankoh
      Javon Sankoh
      @javon-sankoh

No, it’s okay, @WeebmetalOrange. In fact, I’m glad you ranted on about the topic. So basically, I write different types of stories to show how much of a diverse and skilled writer I am. That sounds like a great idea! And, I can improve my writing speed plus my writing knowledge as a whole. But if I solely like a certain genre, would I write more stories with that genre or continue to write stories with different genres?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.