VicsLab.com Forums English Light Novels The Rights and Wrongs of Light Novels

Tagged: 

5 replies, 3 voices Last updated by  Strovist 8 months ago
  • Author

Mohamed Shafiek
    Participant
    @WeebmetalOrange

Here, we can discuss what the community feels are the right and wrongs of writing a light novel. These topics can range from what we personally prefer to use in our stories or even tips to get noticed through our writing skills. You can also share writing tips and tricks you’ve noticed in other lights novels.

Let’s start with this: What do you feel is the best font and font size for a light novel? In my opinion, it’s Garamond 12.

Vic
    Keymaster
    @Vic

Garamond 12 is a good selection for ebooks. For print books, we use 11 point. There are other things in professional formatting for print books that many writers aren’t aware of such as kerning, leading, orphans, widows, when to omit page numbers, etc. That’s something a publisher can handle, though.

As for writing light novels, what’s the right way? They tend to be light on descriptions, heavy on dialogue, inspired by Japanese anime/light novel culture and between 30,000 to 60,000 words.

Vic
    Keymaster
    @Vic

Garamond 12 is a good selection for ebooks. For print books, we use 11 point. There are other things in professional formatting for print books that many writers aren’t aware of such as kerning, leading, orphans, widows, when to omit page numbers, etc. That’s something a publisher can handle, though.

As for writing light novels, what’s the right way? They tend to be light on descriptions, heavy on dialogue, inspired by Japanese anime/light novel culture and between 30,000 to 60,000 words.

Mohamed Shafiek
      Participant
      @WeebmetalOrange

The light novel industry is evolving, to say the least. More and more books are being written and drawn in hopes of being adapted into an anime. We even see that more and more since the incursion of Sword Art Online, light novels become a bigger adoption pool because they are able to give more specific emotions to characters and gives themselves to a lot of a studio’s liberty in freely transferring the story to visuals. For me, I like to write between 90,000 to 100,000 words, just because I feel like I can give the reader who is willing to read, more intelligence praise and “bang for their buck.”

As for the next topic, what do you all think is a good illustration ratio. Allow clarifying. Light novels come with illustrations, whether they are decorative pictures before the story or during. What do you think is the best amount of illustrations for a light novel in relation to word count?

Strovist
        @Thaddeus

Hey there,

For my personal preference, Illustrations portraying character image list is a huge must as they are a common find in almost every mainstream LN. Lots of LNs start off their books with an illustration page showcasing all known characters (either main characters or arc frequent characters). You can see plenty of this in To aru Majutsu no Index Ln series, Mahouka KK no R, Konosuba, Fate/Apocrypha, and the list goes on.

As for simple illustration pages portraying story detail around parts of the book, I would prefer having illustrations at crucial parts of the story. They can be used to depict plot twists, new char introductions, climaxes (fight scenes especially!) or pre-fight scenes showcasing opposing characters. Depending on the depth of story content, the number of illustrations can go up to 20 or as low as 7.

Some LNs like Black Bullet have relatively few illustrations pages. I don’t know whether it’s because of budget or the lack of time for the Illustrator. I can’t comment much on this since I don’t have any illustrations for my own story yet, but stories with few to no illustrations have a major disadvantage compared to a story that has the necessary pics. Everyone wants some pictures to sell the story and enjoy picturing the illustrated character doing what he does as described in the story.

So to conclude, the more illustrations a story volume has, the better.

Vic
    Keymaster
    @Vic

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.